Tuesday 19 July 2016

Travelling Around the Blogosphere


In the past few days, I've been lucky enough to feature, along with my writing on several of the best crime blogs around. Here's a round-up, starting with my visit to Fiction Fan's blog to talk about ten of the best Golden Age detectives. A fun post to write!

I've often said that Dancing for the Hangman, published eight years ago and written a while before that, is a personal favourite of mine, even though it's a history-mystery, very different from all my other novels. I've usually added that, in terms of sales, it is my least successful book; perhaps this is because it was published here and in the US by two small presses. The reviews were terrific, and I was delighted to see that Puzzle Doctor, responsible for a very interesting blog with a leaning towards classic crime, has given the novel a boost with a terrific review today. I'm really pleased about this, because I still believe in Dancing for the Hangman, and I hope to give it fresh life one of these days, not least with an ebook version.

One of my latest short stories, "Consuming Passion", has appeared in the July issue of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, a memorable issue which contains loads of good things, including reflections on the magazine's history of publishing first stories by writers who have gone on to make a name for themselves. I was delighted to read about Keenan Powell's enthusiasm for my story in her Mysteristas blog. Like the review on In Search of the Classic Mystery, this sort of thing is very good for morale (especially as I'm battling with a rather tricky story right  now...)

And finally, Puzzle Doctor hosted an interview with me in connection with the Cluff books published by the British Library. I'm grateful to him, to Fiction Fan, and to Keenan for giving me this attention.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

My pleasure, Martin. I'm still thinking about that story.

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping you do produce an ebook version of Dancing for the Hangman, Martin. In the meantime I have just ordered a secondhand copy from Amazon for the princely sum of £0.01 (plus £2.80 postage)... Martyn