Monday 28 November 2011

Newcastle



I’m just back from a delightful week-end taking part in the Newcastle Winter Books Festival. It’s really only in the past three or four years that I’ve started to get to know the North East, and I must say that Newcastle grows on me each time I visit the city.

I took part in two events, both of them held at a wonderfully atmospheric venue. The Lit and Phil is a fascinating library and great gathering place for people keen on the arts right in the centre of the city. Kay Easson of the Lit and Phil is very welcoming, and if you live in the area, and you aren’t a member, it’s surely worth considering. 

I gave a talk on Agatha Christie on Saturday afternoon, and this was followed by the premiere of my latest murder mystery event, this time set in the 1920s. Both were very well attended, and I was really pleased to be part of the Festival.

On Friday evening I stayed with Ann and Tim Cleeves in Whitley Bay, and on Saturday evening I had a meal with Jean and Roger from Cornwell Internet, an excellent website business. Great mates and great company, all combining to make a memorable couple of days.  

1 comment:

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

I'm sorry I couldn't be there! As a newcomer to the area (I live about an hour and a half away from Newcastle) I'm growing to like Newcastle. I was aware of the Lit & Phil, but probably live a bit too far away to participate on a regular basis. Maybe I should check out the forthcoming events so that I don't miss out on talks like yours and Ann's.