Friday 10 June 2011

Injustice review - is it really the end?


Injustice finished tonight after five episodes shown on consecutive nights. I don't want to say too much about the story-line, lest I spoil the enjoyment for those who haven't seen it. Suffice to say that there were a couple of twists I didn't see coming, and one I did. Also, I would not be surprised to see another season of Injustice shows one of these days. The script seemed to leave open this possibility.

James Purefoy and Nathaniel Parker were both very good as lawyer and client. Charlie Creed-Miles was a truly unpleasant cop, a character I felt bordered on cliche. And there were some moments in Anthony Horowitz's screenplay which seemed a bit recycled. On the whole, however, the story was a good one, and it had sufficient originality to stand out from most shows.

Justice is a key theme of many crime stories, and of course the concept has a pleasing ambiguity that offers a huge amount of scope for any writer. Two of Agatha Christie's very best novels are really about justice. This show was very different from Christie, but it did have in common with her work a liveliness and grip that held my interest from start to finish.

3 comments:

John Baird said...

Thought it was a great series. Superb storytelling and, for once, a strong final instalment.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

'is it really the end?' was the question my husband and I discussed last night after Injustice finished. We thought it very likely there would be more to come, as there was too much left unanswered - at least we hoped there would be another season later on.

One thing that puzzled me was why was Jane Travers so shocked by Spaull's killing - what was her involvement?

Maxine Clarke said...

in a fit of boredom I did watch this, finding it well acted but very slow (do all TV adaptations feature endless repeat shots of the same scene just in case we did not geddit - eg no of shots of person x shooting person y in every episode)?

I actually rather liked the policeman, though the final episode when a particular nasty side was added into the mix stuck me as rather OTT. I definitely did not like those smug lawyers with their amazingly fancy houses- esp the one who is supposed to be the goody, with his equally smug wife. If there is a second series, I could suggest a good plot line.....